Monday, July 1, 2013

Disc Brakes



There are just too many parts that get lost off these avid brakes!! I am going to retire mine early and get brakes that do not have losable parts that fall off on the road never to be seen again! What a bitching ripoff these Avid brakes are.


I lost the small knob for the second time, but then found it where I adjusted the brake. But the small metal part was missing. Fortunately the excessive amount of rain we are having due to global industrial environmental heating, actually exposed the metal part by pushing the dirt way from it. So then I glued the plastic part to the metal part with flexible Barge Cement, to keep it from coming off separately. So next time I will have extra parts waiting.







I had to adjust the pads of my new Avid BB7s in cold dark weather.





When I took the pads out to examine them, the outside piston came out and would not go back in. I had to remove the other piston to get the thing back in, but not until I had to remove the lock ring wire from the post of the outside piston. Then I discovered that the pistons are not magnetized so I had to put the spring back on the pads replacing them both at the same time.



Well I got it all back together and it worked fine, but on the way to town I lost the inside piston adjustment red plastic knob! It cost me $10 to replace them!!!!



The owner’s manual that did not come with the brakes, so I did not know that I should press the knob back on until it clicked.



Do not trust what mechanics tell you, they are concerned only with job security when they tell you that this is a "good" brake. some even tell me that it is the best of the cable pull brakes. Just changing the pads in the summer, I had the spring that holds the pads apart, fly out and get lost!

Their web site has no way for the users to contact them.


Well the next brakes I buy will not have nice red plastic, and will not need to be worked on in the winter, if ever. Dream on.





This is the best KIND of brake,
it presses from both sides
But the cable pull is not the best for long steep downhill with cargo.


ALL HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKES ARE SLUGGISH IN SUB FREEZING WEATHER?


TRP/RD hydraulic disc brakes. They have the master cylinder mounted to the caliper and are actuated by a cable. Making it easy to adjust the tension of the lever! But the pads are not held in-place with magnets.


No comments: