Thursday, February 3, 2011

Slow Commuting Vehicles




 http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/09/17/cute-video-of-cargo-bikes-in-copenhagen/





Cars move too fast, they cause all kinds of problems buzzing around at 30 to 80 mph. I never used my car much, so I finally gave it to the junk yard over a dozen years ago.





One year ago at age 60, I realized that I was not going to be able to live without a motor much longer. So I started researching how to build an electric trike. People kept telling me that I had to drive up hills as fast as possible to keep the power system from burning out. That didn’t sound right to me.





It took me years to find out the reason that e-bikes can’t climb hills slowly; it was so simple that I could not see it. With all the technology that goes into an electric power system, it boils down to one simple thing: “gears verses speed”.





If you’re going to build a single gear machine it should be a low slow gear, hub motors are built for speed and therefore have problems moving a heavy vehicle up steep hills. Not only is it the law that power assisted bikes have a speed limit of only 20 mph, it also saves a lot of energy.





Life at 20 mph or slower is much safer, relaxing and just costs much less money. An electric golf cart would make a good truck, but if you want to build a sexy aerodynamic micro car to save even more energy, read my blog page about it ( http://commutercycling.blogspot.com/2010/10/secrets-of-motor-pedal-hybrid-design.html ), and if you think these vehicles cost too much do the math on your car.





There is a town that promotes slow travel by golf carts etc.http://www.peachtree-city.org/index.aspx?nid=216 they have built a trail system that crosses over main car roads.


No comments: